NOTES: The theme hymn for today is "Holy Ground," CH#112.
“I started making up songs as a small child,” was
a statement made to me in an interview with Geron Davis, a songwriter
born into a pastor’s home in Bogalusa, Louisiana, in 1960. He taught
himself to play the piano at a very early age.
Davis continued, “When I was 19 years old, my dad was pastor of a church in Savannah, Tennessee. As we were nearing the completion of the construction of a church auditorium, my dad asked, ‘Son, would you write a song for us to sing during the first service in our new building?’ I said, ‘OK Dad.’ Well, a couple of weeks went by and I had not written the song. My Dad asked, ‘Son, how about it? Do you have a song for us?’ I said, ‘No Dad, but I’ll write one.’”
“He kept bugging me. In my mind I was thinking, ‘Dad, just chill out, I’ll write a song.’ Saturday night came, the night before the first service in the new church auditorium, and I still had not written a song. My dad and I were finishing some last minute chores at the church when he turned to me and asked, ‘Do you have a song for us?’ I quickly answered, ‘No sir, but I’m fixin’ to.’”
“I went into the sanctuary, dimmed the lights and sat down at the new grand piano. I asked myself, ‘What do we want to say when we come into this building tomorrow to have a service for the first time?’ I began to hum a bit and softly sing some lyrics that were entering my mind. I wrote the lyrics on paper and they kept coming, about as fast as I could write. Within 15 minutes I had finished the entire song. I then went home and to bed.”
“Later, someone asked me, ‘Did you realize you had written something powerful?’ I answered, ‘Are you kidding? I was 19 years old, it was midnight and I wanted to get to bed.’”
“I’m the oldest of four kids, so I awakened Jeff, age 17, and Alyson, 11, early the next morning. I taught them my new song, “Holy Ground.” They learned to sing it by rote because I had no music written on paper. We sang it, as a trio, later that morning in the church service.”
“My mom cried because she thought her kids never sounded better. My dad was just happy that I had written a song. The congregation responded unbelievably to ‘Holy Ground.’”
Today Geron, his wife, Becky, his sister Alyson Lovern and her husband Shelton, comprise the touring musical group, Geron Davis and Kindred Souls. They are on the road most of the year, bringing “Holy Ground” and other exciting music to America ‘s churches.
“Then said the Lord to him, Put off thy shoes from thy feet:
for the place where thou standest is holy ground.” — Acts 7:33
Davis continued, “When I was 19 years old, my dad was pastor of a church in Savannah, Tennessee. As we were nearing the completion of the construction of a church auditorium, my dad asked, ‘Son, would you write a song for us to sing during the first service in our new building?’ I said, ‘OK Dad.’ Well, a couple of weeks went by and I had not written the song. My Dad asked, ‘Son, how about it? Do you have a song for us?’ I said, ‘No Dad, but I’ll write one.’”
“He kept bugging me. In my mind I was thinking, ‘Dad, just chill out, I’ll write a song.’ Saturday night came, the night before the first service in the new church auditorium, and I still had not written a song. My dad and I were finishing some last minute chores at the church when he turned to me and asked, ‘Do you have a song for us?’ I quickly answered, ‘No sir, but I’m fixin’ to.’”
“I went into the sanctuary, dimmed the lights and sat down at the new grand piano. I asked myself, ‘What do we want to say when we come into this building tomorrow to have a service for the first time?’ I began to hum a bit and softly sing some lyrics that were entering my mind. I wrote the lyrics on paper and they kept coming, about as fast as I could write. Within 15 minutes I had finished the entire song. I then went home and to bed.”
“Later, someone asked me, ‘Did you realize you had written something powerful?’ I answered, ‘Are you kidding? I was 19 years old, it was midnight and I wanted to get to bed.’”
“I’m the oldest of four kids, so I awakened Jeff, age 17, and Alyson, 11, early the next morning. I taught them my new song, “Holy Ground.” They learned to sing it by rote because I had no music written on paper. We sang it, as a trio, later that morning in the church service.”
“My mom cried because she thought her kids never sounded better. My dad was just happy that I had written a song. The congregation responded unbelievably to ‘Holy Ground.’”
Today Geron, his wife, Becky, his sister Alyson Lovern and her husband Shelton, comprise the touring musical group, Geron Davis and Kindred Souls. They are on the road most of the year, bringing “Holy Ground” and other exciting music to America ‘s churches.
“Then said the Lord to him, Put off thy shoes from thy feet:
for the place where thou standest is holy ground.” — Acts 7:33
-from the St. Augustine Record, StAugustine.com
Scripture: Exodus 24:12-18
The LORD said to Moses, "Come up to me on the mountain, and wait there; and I will give you the tablets of stone, with the law and the commandment, which I have written for their instruction."
So Moses set out with his assistant Joshua, and Moses went up into the mountain of God. To the elders he had said, "Wait here for us, until we come to you again; for Aaron and Hur are with you; whoever has a dispute may go to them."
Then Moses went up on the mountain, and the cloud covered the mountain. The glory of the LORD settled on Mount Sinai, and the cloud covered it for six days; on the seventh day he called to Moses out of the cloud.
Now the appearance of the glory of the LORD was like a devouring fire on the top of the mountain in the sight of the people of Israel. Moses entered the cloud, and went up on the mountain. Moses was on the mountain for forty days and forty nights.
8:30 AM Order of Service
The Gathering
Welcome
Prelude
We Gather in The Light of Christ
Lighting the Christ Candles
Children come forward to light the candles as we share the responsive reading.
Leader: In the beginning, God said,
People: 'Let there be light' and there was light!
Leader: We light these candles today,
People: Because God is with us in this time and in this place!
Hymn of Praise:CH #72 "To God Be the Glory" sts. 1 and 2
Call to Worship
Leader: Behind all
things, behind the
grey surface
People: there is a
glory escaping, born of
heaven and
belonging to heaven,
Leader: This glory, this light welcomes a more
profound way of seeing things
that
transfigures the world.
People: It casts
a spell of hope that sees
the glory in the cross and life
within death
Leader: This is a
glory that meets
us here on this
mountain
People: Where
Jesus Christ covered in
the dust of the world is caught
up in the glory of heaven
Leader: Welcome to
the mountain!
Invocation Unison
Lord Jesus,
When I would shut my eyes –
because I am afraid to see,
when I would hold on tightly –
because I am afraid to share,
when I would close my doors –
because I am afraid to get involved,
may I find courage
in the company of your people,
learning with them to open my eyes,
my hands,
my home
and my heart.
Amen.
We Contemplate God’s Word
Scripture:
Sermon/Meditation
We Pray Together
We Share Our Joys &
Concern
Prayer Hymn: CH #112 "Holy Ground"
Praying Together
We Gather at The Lord’s Table
Invitation to the Table
Communion Hymn: CH #384 "Here At Thy Table, Lord" ALL
Communion Hymn: CH #384 "Here At Thy Table, Lord" ALL
The Elder’s Prayer of
Communion
Words of Institution
The Lord’s Supper
All are welcome to share at the
Table. Come forward using the center
aisle. As you partake of the bread and
the cup you are welcome to place an offering in the wooden bowl in front of the
table. The offering you share supports
the ministries and life of Christ’s church.
The Lord’s Prayer
We Go Forth into the World
Challenge for Discipleship
Hymn of Discipleship: CH #285 "How Lovely, Lord, How Lovely" sts.1 and 3
Blessing
People: For God has placed the light in us!
Leader: We go in peace!
People: Amen!
Children extinguish the candles as we share the responsive reading.
Leader: The light that was in one place at one time, is now in all places and all times,People: For God has placed the light in us!
Leader: We go in peace!
People: Amen!
10:40AM Service
Welcome
Prelude
Prelude
We Gather in the Light of Christ
Call to Worship
~ written
by Rev. Roddy Hamilton
Hymn of Praise:CH #72 "To God Be the Glory" sts. 1 and 2
Invocation Unison
Lord Jesus,
When I would shut my eyes –
because I am afraid to see,
when I would hold on tightly –
because I am afraid to share,
when I would close my doors –
because I am afraid to get involved,
may I find courage
in the company of your people,
learning with them to open my eyes,
my hands,
my home
and my heart.
Amen.
Passing of the Peace
Call to Offering
Offertory
Doxology CH #46
Prayer of Dedication
Leader: Behind all
things, behind the
grey surface
People: there is a
glory escaping, born of
heaven and
belonging to heaven,
Leader: This glory, this light welcomes a more
profound way of seeing things
that
transfigures the world.
People: It casts
a spell of hope that sees
the glory in the cross and life
within death
Leader: This is a
glory that meets
us here on this
mountain
People: Where
Jesus Christ covered in
the dust of the world is caught
up in the glory of heaven
Leader: Welcome to
the mountain!
Hymn of Praise:CH #72 "To God Be the Glory" sts. 1 and 2
The Acolytes light the Christ candles.
Invocation Unison
Lord Jesus,
When I would shut my eyes –
because I am afraid to see,
when I would hold on tightly –
because I am afraid to share,
when I would close my doors –
because I am afraid to get involved,
may I find courage
in the company of your people,
learning with them to open my eyes,
my hands,
my home
and my heart.
Amen.
Passing of the Peace
We return to our seats as the piano music begins.
Hymn of Faith: CH#38 "Clap Your Hands" Sing Once
We Offer Our Hearts to God
Call to Offering
The offering you share supports
the ministries and life of Christ’s church.
Offertory
Doxology CH #46
Prayer of Dedication
We Contemplate God’s Word
Scripture
Anthem
Children’s Sermon
Sermon/Meditation
We Prayer Together
We Share Our Joys &
Concerns
Prayer Hymn: CH #112 "Holy Ground"
Praying Together
We Gather at The Lord’s Table
Invitation to Communion
Christians of all denominations
and backgrounds are welcome to share in communion. Please hold each
element as we partake in unison.
Communion Hymn: CH #384 "Here At Thy Table, Lord" ALL
Prayers for Bread & Cup and Words of Institution
The Lord’s Prayer
We Go Forth into the World
Challenge for Discipleship
Hymn of Discipleship: CH #285 "How Lovely, Lord, How Lovely" sts.1 and 3
Hymn of Discipleship: CH #285 "How Lovely, Lord, How Lovely" sts.1 and 3
Acolytes come forward.
Blessing
Leader: We go in peace!
People: Amen!
Parting Song: CH #27 "Come Thou ALmighty King" st. 4
Acolytes extinguish the candles as we share the responsive reading.
Leader: The light that was in one place at one time, is now in all places and all times,
People: For God has placed the light in us!Leader: We go in peace!
People: Amen!
No comments:
Post a Comment